Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Meet the Book Club

Welcome to the Book Club where we discuss all things related, however tangentially, to the written word. But before we foist our unsolicited opinions upon you, we thought it would be best to introduce the co-bloggers hosting this soiree.

Who I am: Jason Lea. I spend my days writing about crime, fires and the other calamities that befall people. When somebody drowns, it’s my job to write about it. If someone murders their spouse, that’s me. If somebody loses everything they own in a fire, yeah, me. So I prefer to spend my nights reading something devoid of tragedy.

What I like to read: cereal boxes, comic books, Thomas Hardy.

What I’m reading right now: “Brave New World,” Aldous Huxley. How come every author who writes scary future stories — Margaret Atwood, George Orwell, Huxley — tries to take the fun out of sex? Isn’t the future bleak enough without monitoring our canoodling?

Something funny about my co-blogger: She’s my boss. Consequently, there is nothing funny about her.

Who I am: Tricia Ambrose. I manage the newsroom’s budget and its various departments, edit stories, design pages, write headlines.

What I like to read: fiction (what, no doubt, JLea would call “chick lit”). I like authors who hook you from the get-go, (Jodi Picoult, Elizabeth Berg, Amy Tan) I want to open that first page of the novel and not think about work, or laundry, or bills until I close it.

What I’m reading now: “ The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” by Junot Diaz.

Something funny about my co-blogger: How much time do you have?

Come back every weekday, as we'll be updating the blog every day that doesn't start with a "Satur" or "Sun."

1 Comments:

Blogger Asian Sensation said...

Chick Lit isn't necessarily bad--As an aspiring writer myself, I've read The Devil Wears Prada. Weisburger is an above-average writer, although I wouldn't put her on my "Faulkner, Hemmingway, et. al." shelf.

A good book, Tricia, to help the reader become a writer herself is "See Jane Write: A Girl's Guide to Writing Chick Lit" by Sarah Mlynowski.

January 8, 2009 at 11:15 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home