Wednesday, April 1, 2009

This Gift disappoints

As promised, my weekend foray into the Bs continues today with "The Gifted" by Terri Blackstock (ISBN 9781595540614).

About the best thing I can think of to say about this "classic Christian novel" is that it was a super quick read. Absolutely no character development will do that.

The book was clearly labeled inspirational and made no bones about that fact that its religious message would be far from subtle, but I expected more than a sermon.

Blackstock's story centers on three co-workers seriously injured during an earthquake. The trio are mysteriously healed overnight, and each receives a different gift from God. They work together to use these gifts to spread the word about their faith.

I was fascinated by the premise. What would I do if I received such a gift? How could I use the gifts I have been given better? What could society accomplish if we all used our gifts together for a common good?

Disappointingly, the book is shallow. The story is told with a kind of Judy Garland-Mickey Rooney classic let's-put-on-a-show vibe. Hey, we've been healed! Let's follow your feet and help people!

These weren't real people for me to be interested in. These were caricatures to use as examples.

I still find the premise interesting and I still have my same questions. This book did nothing to shed any real light on anything.

Tomorrow: "Almost Perfect"

- Tricia Ambrose

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home