Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Dan Brown foreshadows for someone you love

My last post requires an addendum. I complained that Dan Brown foreshadowed so much, he practically five-shadowed; but I failed to provide any examples from the text to reinforce my assertion.

Allow me to fix that.

These are the context-less ends to several of Brown’s chapters that include an unnecessary bit of foreshadowing. All my examples come from the first 100 pages of The Lost Symbol.

These are best read with the Dies Irae playing in the background:

Soon you will lose everything you hold most dear.

Ten miles from the Capitol Building, a lone figure was eagerly preparing for Robert Langdon’s arrival.

And now, at last, his final pawn had entered the game.

It’s going to be a long day.

Something was very, very wrong.

The truth was that Katherine was doing science so advanced that it no longer even resembled science.

“You are here, Mr. Langon, because I want you to be here.”

Someone was screaming.

If Langdon had not yet grasped his role here tonight, soon he would.

-Jason Lea, JLea@News-Herald.com

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger MPL Staff said...

hahaha, five-shadowed...but seriously, who screamed? And what's his role? Who's the final pawn?! I can't resist Brown's cryptic cliff hangers.
~Mentor's Reader

October 14, 2009 at 9:11 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Cheap. Read Maureen Dowd's review in the Times Book Review. As Brown writes he hears dollars and sense, he sees his movies top the charts.

Were half of those hangers cliches? Or more than half?

In my next post, the truth, will set Dan Brown free.

October 14, 2009 at 10:25 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home