Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A holiday to remember. Not.

Now my night will be spent trying to rewrite some great literature to try to win a laptop. More laundry-dishes-cleaning avoidance. Thanks, Jason.

The office has been abuzz of late with talk about favorite Christmas movies. Which has me thinking about Christmas in literature.

What are the most memorable Christmases in literature?

There's the first Christmas, course. Hard to top the Bible.

I'm partial to Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women" with its opening of a Christmas without presents during the Civil War.

Who doesn't enjoy "The Gift of the Magi." O. Henry's classic is packed with powerful messages about true love and what gift-giving should be all about.

I know JLea's not the biggest fan of Charles Dickens, but even he has to admit that "A Christmas Carol" is an enduring work.

And no list is complete without Dr. Seuss' "The Grinch That Stole Christmas."

But then there's a bit of a drop-off.

I've read John Grisham's "Skipping Christmas." It was OK, but I have greater recall of the movie it spawned with Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis.

What am I forgetting? Are authors steering away from the holiday as a theme or is my memory just failing?

Any suggestions? I could use a good read.

- Tricia Ambrose

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home