Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Was the right thing, the right thing to do?

Dennis Lehane is a rare author in my book.

His novels are entertaining and well-written. Yes, he delivers page-turning thrillers ("Mystic River," "Shutter Island," "Gone, Baby, Gone") but his works is more than pure escapism (not that there's anything wrong with that).

What makes his works stand out even more so is that I've enjoyed the film adaptations as much as the novels themselves.

So this weekend not only did I spend some quality time with Leonardo DiCaprio in "Shutter Island," I also curled up with "Moonlight Mile."

Neither was a disappointment.

"Moonlight Mile" continues the tale of "Gone, Baby, Gone." And perhaps the only downside to enjoying those film adaptations so much is that the characters are cast in my head. When I read about Patrick Kenzie, I am picturing Ben Affleck (not that there's anything wrong with that!) (Take away my ability to uses parentheses, please.)

In GBG, Patrick did the right thing, but was it the right thing to do?

Years later he's still haunted by that question. And MM presents him with the chance - sort of - to do things differently.

Once again Amanda McCready has disappeared and Kenzie is asked to find her. He's not the man he was 12 years earlier though. Now he's married to Angie Gennaro and they have a daughter. Will this change how he proceeds? Does it change how he sees his actions of 12 years earlier?

This is the sixth time Lehane has visited Kenzie and Gennaro. Will it be the last?

Click here for discussion questions on the book.

Listen to the author discuss his work.

- Tricia Ambrose

To Cheryl, I look forward to reading your thoughts on "Her Fearful Symmetry." Here's what I thought.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home