Friday, May 27, 2011

LitSoup: What is on your summer reading list?

This month's LitSoup is a even simpler question than last month's:
What is on your summer reading list?

Are you getting to that best-seller you haven't had the chance to pick up? Are you taking some mindless chick lit to the beach with you?

I posed this question to the newsroom, and these are the responses I received:

Tricia Ambrose:
  • Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
  • Sing you Home by Jodi Picoult
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  • Plus a bunch of juicy paperbacks for the beach, at least a handful of nonfiction works and one classic re-read, I’m thinking The Great Gatsby

Mike Butz:
  • I don’t really have a summer reading list, per se, but I’d like to finish reading “Triumph of the City” by Edward Glaeser. I started it shortly after it was released earlier this year but put it down and never got back to it.

Danielle Capriato:
  • First of all, a big part of my summer reading list is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Since the final Harry Potter movie will be released in July (ohmygosh!), I have to reread the book. But that will be an easy read for me, having read each book in the series so many times.
  • Other books on my list include The Hunger Games trilogy. I asked friends for recommendations, and this was by far the most recommended. I’ve heard so many good things and have wanted to read it anyway. It’s moved up on my list.
  • I also want to read Sweet Valley Confidential ASAP. The fact that I haven’t yet is incredibly unfortunate.

Jeffrey L. Frischkorn:
  • Most of anticipated "book" reading this summer will be magazines, particularly those devoted to shooting and hunting with a seasoning of fishing magazines. Among them: American Rifleman, Guns and Ammo, Shooting Times, Ohio Outdoor News, American Hunter, National Geographic, Smithsonian, American History Channel, American Heritage, Pennsylvania Angler... And when I'm done with Ezekiel in the Old Testament I'll move on to the Book of Acts in the New Testament
  • Somewhere I hope to squeeze in rereading a couple of favorite books like "The Old Man and the Boy," the "Best of Cory Ford" and T. Roosevelt's tome on his post-presidency safari to Africa with his son, Kermit...

Angela Gartner:
  • Short stories has held my interest all year long. This summer will be no exception as a I dig deeper into Stephen King’s short story collections.
  • Three books - Skelton Crew, Four after Midnight, and Night Shift – are on my list.
  • As I learned last year, audiobooks make a wonderful addition to a summer running regiment. (Just a word of warning – don’t listen to a horror/mystery audiobook if running alone at the Lake Metroparks –I found out this spring, your heart beats a little faster.)

Rachel Jackson:
  • The one sure item atop my ever-shifting stack of reading material is the current issue of Outside mag. It’s usually supplemented by some books as well, but which book I actually read is chosen at random from the stack of “newly purchased books and books I just haven’t gotten to yet.” 
  • Right now, I’m partway through the first book in the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series – I saw the HBO adaptation and it inspired me to give the books a try.

Cheryl Sadler:



This post is part of a LitSoup, a monthly feature on The Book Club compiled of contributions from the newsroom. Send an e-mail or tweet with your suggestions for future LitSoup topics.

-- Cheryl Sadler | CSadler@News-Herald.com | @nhcheryl

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home