Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Couldn't connect with inspirational tale

"Unbroken" has gotten a lot of buzz.
Laura Hillenbrand has penned a well-researched, inspirational story of survival.
The book has been on the best-seller lists, and no matter where I've been this summer people have been talking about it.
So I'm almost ashamed to admit I didn't care for it.
Don't get me wrong, I am as impressed by anyone with Louie Zamperini.
How Zamperini managed to become an Olympic athlete is impressive in itself. How he survived World War II is a true triumph of the human spirit.
And I guess that's why, for me, Unbroken didn't resonate.
I don't understand how.
To her credit, Hillenbrand's account of Zamperini's days stranded in the Pacific and years as a prisoner of war in Japan is understated. The horror of the events does not need graphic sensationalism.
What was it in Zamperini that enabled him to remain Unbroken? How did he cope through those long days and nights of brutality? What can I learn from his experience?
Clearly, lots of others found a connection with this work. I'd love to hear from readers who disagree with my take. What was it about the book that held you?  
- Tricia Ambrose

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home