Friday, September 30, 2011

LitSoup: What book got you hooked?

This month's LitSoup question:
What book got you hooked on reading?


I posed this question to the newsroom, and these are the responses I received:

Jean Bonchak:
Frank L. Baum’s series of Oz books fascinated me in childhood. I still remember walking to the Wickliffe Library to take out 2 volumes at a time (all that was permitted). Though exact names and titles escape me, I can still recall the creativity in his books beyond “The Wizard of Oz” including characters with wheels instead of feet, houses that were beautiful on the outside but horrible on the inside (and vice versa) and many, many more.
His genius could rival any modern day writers in the genre. What a beautiful legacy he left for us all.


Danielle Capriato:
I’m going to go with the ever-delightful “Pinocchio.” When I was but a wee lass, at the tender age of 3, my dear old dad used to read me a nightly bedtime story. As he read to me, I would follow along and ask him to point out words I thought were funny or otherwise liked. One night I told him it was my turn to read to him, and I picked up “Pinocchio” and read it to him by myself. At first he thought maybe I had memorized the story, but I had actually taught myself how to read. I spent the rest of my younger days with my nose stuck in a book.
If I had to make another choice, I would say the “Little House on the Prairie” series. I was given the set from my mother around kindergarten, and they were the first chapter books I read. I loved them, and while I haven’t read them in many years, the entire set still sits proudly on my bookshelf.


Jeffrey L. Frischkorn:
I was always a very slow reader and had great difficulty… Then I came across a book for boys called “Wilderness Trek.” That got me hooked and all through junior high and even up into high school I read as many as one book a day, mostly adventure stories for boys of my age ...


Cheryl Sadler:
Dr. Seuss, especially "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish" and "The Cat in the Hat." The former was so read in my house that the cover was nearly detached.



This post is part of a LitSoup, a monthly feature on The Book Club compiled of contributions from the newsroom. Send an e-mail or tweet with your suggestions for future LitSoup topics.

-- Cheryl Sadler | CSadler@News-Herald.com | @nhcheryl

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home