Thursday, January 8, 2009

'Funny' is a personal thing

I’ll admit it; I’m humorless. When it comes to books that is, though I’m sure there are those who would say I don’t limit that to my reading material of choice!
So, in part at least, I agree with Jason (there truly is a first time for everything).
I can’t recommend a “funny” book because I don’t read them. Other than a collection of Dave Barry’s columns, I doubt I’ve read anything classified as humor writing.
So while, when it comes to movies, I love the laugh-out-loud-ness of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “Weekend at Bernie’s” and “Anger Management,” that’s not the kind of humor I’m looking for when I’m reading.
When I think of "funny" books, it isn't for their humor of the pratfall variety.
No, wWhat comes to mind are the smiles evoked by the foibles of Bridget in “Bridget Jones’s Diary,” just about any lead character in a Jennifer Weiner novel, and, most recently, the two women in Lisa Gabriele’s “The Almost Archer Sisters.”
This is humor born of character.
It is their reaction to the curveballs life has thrown at them, their wry acceptance of a less than perfect life, their sometimes-all-you can-do-is-laugh attitudes that bring the smile to my face.
And keeps me turning the pages.

- Tricia Ambrose

1 Comments:

Blogger Asian Sensation said...

"This is humor born of character.
It is their reaction to the curveballs life has thrown at them, their wry acceptance of a less than perfect life, their sometimes-all-you can-do-is-laugh attitudes that bring the smile to my face."

This is a good explanation about different types of humor. Good Morning Vietnam, was considered a black comedy, even though it had obvious "laugh out loud" moments and semi-crass references to President Nixon.

But, similar to a high-culture classic novel or even Family Guy, it has funny bits that most people won't get unless they study politics/military history and other sciences.

In a way, Tricia has nailed it--in those books, the author develops those characters and the humor just evolves from it--there's no canned laugh track like in Seinfeld or Two and a Half Men.

January 8, 2009 at 11:25 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home