Friday, January 23, 2009

A riveting account

I know they say it’s wrong, but I have to admit I do it. I often judge a book by its cover. Actually, its title.
How else to explain what prompts me to pick one book over another as I’m browsing among the stacks. If those words along the spine don’t contain “something” to appeal, I’ll never even see the cover, let alone read what’s on the inside.
So it was that I stumbled upon “Seven Wheelchairs, A Life Beyond Polio” by Gary Presley (ISBN 9781587296932).
I usually only look at fiction, but I was waiting for my son to finish his search and found myself standing in front of a display of nonfiction works.
And that title intrigued.
I was not disappointed.
Presley’s account of his experiences with polio was riveting. (I was 50 pages into it before we left the library!)
He holds nothing back as he describes his time in an iron lung and the decades that followed as he built a life far different from the one he had once imagined.
I think I’ll have to start checking out the nonfiction stacks more often.

- Tricia Ambrose

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger MPL Staff said...

The nonfiction section is a great place to go hunting for something interesting. There are a lot of nonfiction books that read like great fiction. Here are a few of my favorites:
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris.
-Mentor's Reader

January 23, 2009 at 10:08 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Google is a marvelous tool, one of which uses is finding when out where a person's name appears.

Thank you for the admiring words about my memoir, SEVEN WHEELCHAIRS. It was both a difficult and easy book to write, and the process taught me a little more about myself as well.

I wanted SEVEN WHEELCHAIRS to describe a life disabled truthfully -- and it is a Truth that there is joy and peace and worth to be found wherever we find ourselves.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Gary Presley
www.garypresley.com

January 23, 2009 at 3:21 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home