Thursday, February 19, 2009

Less than a week, and I'm hooked

It hasn't even been a week, and I'm hooked.

I signed up last Friday for an online book club through the Morley Library Web site.

There are several "clubs" to choose among - fiction, business, science fiction, audio, nonfiction, romance, mystery, pre-publication, teen, good news and thriller. I was tempted to click on all of them but wisely decided to see how it went with one before committing to 11.

I opted to start with nonfiction. My list of to-read novels is already pretty lengthy; so I saw this an an opportunity to broaden my horizons a bit.

According to the site, each weekday you'll be emailed a five-minute selection from that week's book and by the end of the week you will have read two or three chapters.

Sounded simple enough. And it is.

This week, we nonfiction folks are reading "The Ungarnished Truth" by Ellie Mathews. (ISBN: 9780425219454) It's the memoir of this Pillsbury Bake-Off winner. I have to say, it's a book I never would have picked off a shelf, but I am enjoying it. Although I'm someone who would happily eat the same exact thing every day, I can appreciate those who like to create new dishes and am learning more about what goes into that.

Each installment comes with a Dear Reader from Suzanne - who lives in Florida, so much as I might like to attend the upcoming book club Birthday Bash, I don't think that will happen.

There's also the opportunity for readers to comment on the books or even reserve a copy at Morley.

It is easy enough to skip down to the actual excerpt and just start reading as I've been doing.

And I do have a new anticipation when I log on to my email account.

Perhaps I'll add business next week. Or maybe good news. Who couldn't use more of that?!

- Tricia Ambrose

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home