Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Worth sticking it out after slow start

I had a hard time getting into Alice Hoffman’s “The Story Sisters” (ISBN 9780307393869).
Fortunately it was so hot outside that I lacked the energy to get up off the swing and go in the house to choose another book from the stack. I’m glad I stuck with it.
The bond shared by the sisters is a little bit creepy at times, I have to admit. I struggled through the secret language stuff at the outset.
But I became hooked by Elv and by all that follows her decision to keep the events of one afternoon a secret from all but her youngest sister.
One ordinary afternoon destroys the family.
What could have made things go differently? If they had walked home another way? If she had let Claire stay in the car? If she had screamed? If she had told the truth of what happened?
At what point could the outcome have been made different?
“Would she know how to rescue Elv if the time ever came? Would she stand there mutely and watch her sister be carried away or would she dare to be brave?” wonders Claire.
We readers can ask ourselves the same questions.
- Tricia Ambrose

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home