Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Regrets, I've had a few ...

... Not really, I just like that lyric.

Not surprisingly, Jason, I can't think of a book I regret reading.
Much as I did not enjoy Twilight and thought it was poorly written, I'm not sorry I read it.
In my broken recordness ... how can you fully appreciate the good without a little of the not-so-good? If "Twilight" were the only book you had ever read, would you have thought it better?
Who are these people who wish they had not read works as diverse as Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter" and Lamb's "She's Come Undone" and Eugenides' "Middlesex"? What is it they wish they had done instead of spending time with these novels?
I can see I've asked too many questions - talk about poor writing! - but I am truly baffled.
There are so many books on my list for this year I can't wait to get cracking.
I'm sure some I will enjoy more than others, some will be better written than others, some will have better plots, some will speak to me for inexplicable reasons.
But, regret reading any of them? That's not my way.
- Tricia Ambrose

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home