Monday, March 21, 2011

World Poetry Day

Today, as we all know, is World Poetry Day.

(What, you didn't know?)

According to the link, the purpose of the day is to promote reading, writing, publishing and teaching poetry.

To celebrate, The New York Times proposed Twitter poetry. Basically, you take the 140 character limit given on Twitter to compose a poem. There have been some nice responses that I've seen. Submit your own by using the #poettweet, or check out what others have submitted here.

One of my favorites:
And if you're in the mood for some more conventional poetry, here are a few poems I like. The first was actually suggested by my friend Emily, but I really like it, too.

Dreams, by Langston Hughes
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.
Fire and Ice, by Robert Frost
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
 And finally, a video entry--something you all should recognize.



--Danielle Capriato
DCapriato@News-Herald.com

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home