Friday, February 24, 2012

LitSoup: Having lunch with an author

This month's LitSoup question:
With which author/writer – dead or living – would you like to have coffee/lunch/drinks?


I posed this question to the newsroom, and these are the responses I received:

Jean Bonchak:
After reading this month’s topic it took me no time at all to come up with the author with whom I would most like to visit - The Bard. His genius perceptions of people, life and the world and his ability to translate them into some of the most beautiful literary works ever written never fails to astonish and delight, always striking the truth at its raw core.
And my favorite sonnet?
XXIX.
When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts my self almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.
One of my high school English teachers said her vision of heaven was riding around in a Cadillac with Shakespeare. I’ll settle for a VW bug.

Jeff Forman:
Henry Miller, to take a walking drinking tour of Paris.

Jeffrey L. Frischkorn:
This is easy: Teddy Roosevelt who wrote “African Game Trails” and other and also was involved with politics and conservation, I believe…

Larece Galer:
Anne Morrow Lindberg, for lunch, to learn more about her life and exploits with famous husband Charles
and
Erma Bombeck for drinks, to enjoy her very down to earth sense of humor

Robin Palmer:
John Steinbeck and his dog, Charley.
Ernest Hemingway at his house in Key West, Fla. With all those cats.

Cheryl Sadler:
It seems so cliche to say Jodi Picoult, but I would love to hear more about her story-writing process. I read once in a Q&A in the back of one of her books about how she develops her story ideas by coming up with a difficult question. I think her writing lends itself to such great discussions -- a talent I think most writers would love to possess.

I opened the question up to Twitter:





This post is part of a LitSoup, a regular feature on The Book Club compiled of contributions from the newsroom and community. Send an email or tweet with your suggestions for future LitSoup topics.

-- Cheryl Sadler | CSadler@News-Herald.com | @nhcheryl

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

James Baldwin.

March 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home