Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Veil not worth parting


I had such hopes for Jay Davis' "Parting the Veil."
Alas.
Veil is the story of John Creed. Revived after being clinically dead for 10 minutes, he discovers some new skills and has some disturbing dreams.
I expected too much.
I was hoping that from that set-up would follow a probing tale about near-death experiences and our connections to each other now and later.
Instead, it was all very let's-put-on-a-show. Events were too pat, and there was little in the way of character development.
Bummer.
I can forgive a lot in a work. As Jason noted in his post a few days ago, I think a captivating story elevates otherwise so-so writing. I think compelling characters can keep you turning pages filled with otherwise average writing.
Not everything is for everybody, I guess.
Tonight, "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society," a recommendation from my mom. And if all goes well I will avoid any housework at all and start on the books I picked up at lunch at Euclid library!!
Keeping my fingers crossed.
- Tricia Ambrose

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home