Friday, April 1, 2011

Favorite book comes to life

One of my favorite works of literature is coming to life locally.
Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women" is probably the book I have read more than any other.
It meet all my criteria for a favorite:
An opening sentence that hooks you.
“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents,” grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
I learn that it is Christmas time. The situation is such that the family won't have presents, which is a change from past Christmases. Jo is the type of person who lies on the floor and grumbles. A pretty packed sentence, and I am intrigued.
(Side note: Test your knowledge of opening lines. I scored a 15.)
Characters that fascinate me.
Jo has always been my favorite of the little women. I too am the second of four girls. And I too like to read. (Not sure I would have passed up the wealthy husband though!) The relationship among the sisters is well-crafted - that curious mix of bickering and affection.
Themes that transcend
At it's heart, "Little Women" is a family drama. How does the family cope with adversity? with tragedy? How strong are the ties that bind? The answers to the questions are played out against the backdrop of the Civil War, yet resonate with readers 150 years later.
All that's why I'm so excited that Geauga  Lyric Theater in Chardon is set to put on "Little Women" April 15 to 17.
And it's an all-teen production. Here's the cast:
Jo - Kelly Tapager
Meg - Anna Turbett
Amy - Jordan Martin
Beth - Flo Piortwski
Marmee - Jill Allenby
Aunt March - Serena Tamburrino
Laurie - Andrew Kotlar
Mr. Laurence - Aaron Brooks
John - Jonathan Klein
Professor Bhaer - Joey Giel

Performances are set for 7:30 p.m. April 15 and 16 and 1:30 p.m. April 17. Tickets are just $5.
Get details here.


 



Want to download a free e version of the book.






- Tricia Ambrose




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home