Friday, April 27, 2012

LitSoup: What are you reading?

This month's LitSoup question:
What are you reading right now?

It's the quarterly check-in with what's on the shelves of those in The News-Herald's newsroom:

Rhonda Colvin:
I am in the middle of “Fall from Grace” by Richard North Patterson. It’s a new novel that follows a son who uses his experience as a CIA operative to look into the mysterious death of his estranged father, a wealthy author who fell from a cliff. This book has a lot of twists and turns and it seems like whatever happens in the end will surprise me, which I hope is the case.
As far as non-fiction, I just finished Isabelle Wilkerson’s "The Warmth of Other Suns." It’s a deeply researched piece of work that follows the story of the Great Migration, the period of decades when thousands of African Americans moved from Southern states to the North in the hopes of living a life without segregation. The accounts of some of the migrants are so vivid that you sometimes forget you’re reading non-fiction, but the events are true which makes the book even more thought provoking.

Jeffrey L. Frischkorn:
After I'm done wading through a stack of hunting, firearms, natural history magazines I intend to get back to a pair of books that I've started reading: "Fox's Book of Martyrs" and "1491."

Larece Galer:
Ok so I’m hooked "Kill the Irishman" was good so I had to follow with "SuperThief, A Master Burglar, the Mafia and the Biggest Bank Heist in U.S. History"
Author Rick Porrello writes about the old neighborhoods and familiar places. SuperThief is a good read about crime in Cleveland in years past.

Janet Podolak:
I'm reading "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larsen, chilling account of life in Germany in the 1930s when most people looked the other way in regard to the atrocities that Hitler was carrying out.
This was a book club selection and I didn’t like it at first, but now that I'm almost done I think it's well written and interesting.

Cheryl Sadler:
"Friday Night Lights" by H.G. Bissinger and "Salem Falls" by Jodi Picoult

Jeff Schudel:
"Macbeth" by Shakespeare, "The Night Manager" by John Le Carre and "Foundation and Empire" by Isaac Asimov



This post is part of a LitSoup, a monthly feature on The Book Club compiled of contributions from the newsroom. Send an e-mail or tweet with your suggestions for future LitSoup topics.

-- Cheryl Sadler | CSadler@News-Herald.com | @nhcheryl

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home