Friday, June 29, 2012

LitSoup: What's on your summer reading list?

This month's LitSoup question:
What's on your summer reading list?

Some summer-reading plans from The News-Herald newsroom:

Tricia Ambrose
On my list of must-reads for summer is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I’ve read great things about it and am totally intrigued by the idea of exploring a marriage gone horribly awry.

Jean Bonchak:
Just finished reading “Loving Frank” by Nancy Horan. Admittedly, I wasn’t crazy about the premise, which is based on Frank Lloyd Wright’s career and illicit love affair with a married woman. However, the author relates the tale in such a compelling manner, and the lives involved were so interesting, I have to admit I enjoyed it immensely.
I’ve just picked up “The Paris Wife” which talks about Hemingway’s relationship with his first wife. Because I very much trust the person who recommended it I’m looking forward to it as my vacation read.
And for the little guys? My grandson is just crazy about “Clifford to the Rescue” and absolutely anything relating to the Berenstain Bears. Also, he never tires of the “Five Little Monkeys” series which we have read repeatedly over the last year..

Jeffrey L. Frischkorn:
I’m STILL trying to get through “1491” but keep getting interrupted. Including by a very funny Kindle e-book called “Mr. Hawkins’ Humorous Adventures,” written by Edger Franklin way back in 1904 or so.

Nicole Franz
I plowed through “The Hunger Games” trilogy, and I’ve been reading Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse books lately. They’re light, entertaining books that inspired HBO’s “True Blood.”

Cheryl Sadler:
I'm finishing up "A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail," and next on my list is — dare I say it? — "Fifty Shades of Grey," which Community Media Lab blogger Amy Lauria encouraged me to read after blogging about it. I'm either going to hate this, or it will be my newest guilty pleasure read.

Other responses from the Twitterverse:

Jason Lea:
I've been trying to read more poetry lately for both academic and practical reasons.
Frankly, it's a big gap in my knowledge. If you mention a poet who was born in the last 100 years who isn't Shel Silverstein, Maya Angelou or Sherman Alexie, I haven't heard of them.
Also, my free time tends to come in snatches of 15 and 30 minutes and it's easier to digest a poem in that time than it is a chapter of prose.
I'm wading through the Selected Poems of W.H. Auden now. It's a lot of reading, re-reading and not fully grasping his meanings.
Before that, I was reading Meg Bogin's compilation of extant poetry by female troubadours. It's interesting how grounded the women's poetry is when compared to the men of that era.
In addition to having some good poetry that even a dilettante like I can understand, Bogin's collection also looks at how chivalry was used to oppress the women of the time. Bogin posits that, perhaps, even romantic love is a tool of oppression.
I'm also reading Avengers V. X-Men because a man can't live on Auden alone.


This post is part of a LitSoup, a monthly feature on The Book Club compiled of contributions from the newsroom. Send an email or tweet with your suggestions for future LitSoup topics.

-- Cheryl Sadler | CSadler@News-Herald.com | @nhcheryl

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home